Monday, October 14, 2013

Doberman Bulletin Board tutorial

So I decided as a government employee who is about to be a homeowner again and isn't getting paid; no buying new house stuff... But that doesn't mean I can't do some fun decorating and updating with stuff I already own.

I've decided my home office will be gray and turquoise/beachy blue (the blue has always been part of my "office theme" since my first job b/c it makes me happy and less stressed). After playing on pinterest, I decided I wanted to make This:


But make it more my style... So I made this:

 
 
 
YOU WILL NEED:
  • bulletin board
  • 3 paint colors (I used cheap acrylic)
  • A large silhouette photo of your pet (regular paper is fine, but thicker would be better)
  • pushpins
  • pencil
  • scissors
  • sponge brush or largish paint brush
  • small-medium paint brush

 
 
I started with an old bulletin board lying around the house (they sell them at Walmart, Hobby Lobby, Target, Michael's, etc). I took a photo of our handsome Doberman and enlarged it to full page:
 



Then I cut out his silhouette and pinned it to the board and traced around it:


Then I painted inside the pencil marks with the medium/small paint brush (it doesn't have to be perfect at this point):


Once that dried, I put the photo silhouette back over the blue part:


And painted the gray over the entire board with the sponge brush (I should have done the white first, just FYI-- the lighter color on the bottom is better, but I kinda wanted the grey to show through a little so it was antique-y :):

*Be sure you paint away from the stencil and not under the paper so the paint doesn't get under it.

 

 

 
Let it dry, then apply the chevron "Frog Tape" (you can get it at Lowe's or Home Depot), and paint the second color (it took me 2 tries to get it even... I recommend using a ruler instead of guessing the spacing lol):
 
 
Let it dry, and pull off the tape, remove the stencil. And TA-DA:
 
 

So my office will look super cute and the décor will be ready when we move in :). Total cost less than $20 if I bought everything new (which of course I didn't).

No comments:

Post a Comment